For the latest in our series on fitness-focused female brand founders, Varley asks Mode Sportif’s Deborah Symond O’Neil how she works out stylishly and sustainably - all while experiencing her second pregnancy...
1. Deborah, can you talk us through some of your favourite pieces from Varley’s Spring collection?
I adore the colours and prints from Varley this season, it’s the perfect addition to the core classics from Varley that I already have in my active wardrobe. The subtle prints and cosy sweaters are just right for my Pilates visits and I’m still able to wear the pieces half way into my pregnancy, which is amazing!
2. How will you style them?
I’ll be wearing my Taupe Feather set with creams and blacks. Perfect with sneakers or slides for the studio and beyond.
3. How do you like to dress up your activewear?
I love pairing it with an oversized blazer and a chunky sandal. In winter I throw on a trench and a cap for an easy studio to street look.
4. What’s a typical day for you? How do you manage to incorporate fitness into it?
Most of my time is spent chasing after my gorgeous little one year old! Fitness is important to me, but it’s become more difficult to carve out time every day. I do a Pilates class twice a week and go on a good walk daily. I love spin, and can’t wait to resume my classes after my second baby is born.
5. Congratulations on this second pregnancy! What’s your favourite Varley style for this memorable time in your life?
Varley has worked well for me in my pregnancy so far. The feather print and classic black are great to hide a few extra lumps and bumps - the fabric is soft and beautiful to wear.
6. Your favourite workout look is…? How important is it to feel both comfortable and confident in your workout gear?
I couldn’t decide! I love to play around with workout wear but as long as the fit is there everything else follows - comfort is key for workouts.
7. How does Sydney influence your work?
Sydney provides so much inspiration for us and the Australian climate and lifestyle is what drives all our buying decisions. We are so lucky to be in such a wonderful country.
8. What made Mode Sportif want to work alongside Varley?
We were immediately drawn to Varley’s gorgeous designs and incredible cuts. There was no question - we felt it belonged in our stores and have really loved introducing the brand to our clients
9. Sustainability is a key factor in everything you do. How does it impact on business and home?
I try to make sustainable decisions every day in the smallest things from my coffee cup and water bottle, to bigger projects like relaunching our Mode packaging. It’s so important. We have a range of sustainable brands on offer under our mode eco category.
10. What’s your secret tip to make something super healthy taste even more delicious?
Chilli! I adore chilli - it’s the perfect addition to so many of my favourite dishes.